We’re always looking for anyone interested in helping out the shelter. We have a variety of ways you can help and here’s just a few:
At the Shelter:
Helping with animal care, cleaning, being available to meeting with interested adoption parents during our available hours and answering questions about the adoptions and the animals available for adoption.
Other ways you can help:
- Fostering animals for short and longer periods depending on the animals needs
- Helping with fundraising to keep the shelter operating
- On occasion we need drivers to help transport animals
- Office support such as help with data entry, website updates, maintaining records and filing to name a few tasks
- Board members, you can serve as a board member to help drive the strategy of the shelter.
- Other tasks such as filling out Charity receipts for donors, coordinating our 50/50 raffles, recording the donations that come in, inventory of our supplies etc..
Interested in learning about the volunteer opportunities?
Use the form below to express your interest and we will be in touch to take the next steps.
MISSION STATEMENT: Through partnerships and ongoing education, Camrose & Area Animal Shelter Society provides care for companion animals until they transition to permanent homes.
VISION STATEMENT: In 2025 Camrose and area benefits from a progressive, responsible and accessible full-service animal care facility.
- We are dedicated to ensuring that the animals in care are our top priority.
- That mutually respectful communication, with empathy, leads to positive actions.
- In being transparent, trustworthy and acting with integrity.
- That dependability and responsibility are foundational to accountability.
- That loyalty means standing up for, believing in and promoting our mission and vision.
- In a strong work ethic that encompasses self-motivation and team work.
Frequently Asked Volunteer Questions
- What do I have to do to volunteer with C&AASS?
All interested volunteers are first required to fill out a basic Volunteer Application, Volunteer Release Form & Photo Release Form.
- Can I take a break from volunteering or choose not to volunteer anymore
Absolutely! Just let us know and your name will either be removed from the volunteer list or will be noted to be temporarily unavailable until further notice from you.
- Do I have to be involved with everything?
No, you can fill out our Volunteer Application form indicating what areas you would like to volunteer in and then communicate any stipulations you have for volunteering on the form.
- How much time can be involved with volunteering with C&AASS?
The amount of time involved varies depending on what area(s) & activities you volunteer to participate in. Some Fundraisers/Events only involve a few hours of help and some of our bigger, planned events will require much more time. (planning, set up, take down, volunteer time at event).
- Can I be involved with animals without fostering or adopting?
Yes, you can volunteer for animal care or for cleaning at the Shelter. These will give you the opportunity to interact with some of our animals.
We do occasionally need temporary pet sitters or someone to transport animals to appointments and Fundraisers/Events. There may also be an opportunity to “buddy” up with a foster home near you so that you can help them out with their particular animal (they may have a day they need to be away).
- Do I have to be a member to volunteer with C&AASS?
No, membership is not required to volunteer with C&AASS. However, as a paid member, you will have voting power at general meetings.
- Do I have to attend meetings if I am a volunteer?
No, it’s not mandatory to attend meetings.
- Is there a lot of driving involved to be a volunteer?
That depends on what area(s) you want to volunteer in. For instance we will have Fundraisers/Events that require volunteers to travel short distances to. Many of our Fundraisers/Events will involve some driving but if you are unable to drive and still would like to volunteer for things let a Shelter representative know and we will do our best to connect you with someone in your area that you could share a ride with.
- Can my whole family get involved?
YES! Volunteering as a family is a great way to stay connected and teach the importance of helping others. However the C&AASS does have Youth Volunteer requirements. Youth volunteers aged 15 & under, must be accompanied by a parent or guardian AT ALL TIMES while volunteering. Youth Volunteers 16 & 17 years of age are permitted to volunteer without a parent or guardian, but must have a parent or guardian sign their release form. Ages 18 and over may volunteer without consent of Parent/Guardian.
- What can I expect to get out of volunteering with C&AASS?
Becoming a volunteer with any organization is a rewarding experience. It gives you a sense of purpose, belonging and connects you with others who share similar interests to yours. Volunteering with C&AASS allows you to give back to your community, connect with others who feel that protecting animals is an important and valuable task, connect with the animals themselves and give a voice and an opportunity for a new life to animals in need!
- How do I stay informed of what’s going on with C&AASS?
One of the easiest ways to keep updated is to check our website and to join our Facebook group and/or like our Facebook page!
Help the animals and volunteer at the Camrose and Area Animal Shelter.
Once you’ve completed this form there will be a Volunteer Release & Photo Release Form to complete and sign as well.
Click here to get more details about the position available
AT THE SHELTER
ANIMAL CARE: There are 2 shifts completed daily at the Shelter.
- 1 – morning shift: starts at 9 am and typically runs 2-3 hours
- 2 – evening shift: starts at 6:30 pm and typically runs 1 1/2 – 2 hours
Opportunity may be available for Shift Lead positions.
CLEANING: Special cleaning on Wednesdays from 1 – 3 pm or later. May include washing dishes, litter scoops, litter pans, laundry, sweeping and washing floors, cleaning bathrooms, dusting, washing windows inside the Shelter. Washing and disinfecting animal kennels. Disinfecting involves use of a bleach solution and a virkon solution.
OTHER PLACES & WAYS TO HELP
Fostering: (*Foster Home Application form is required to be filled out*)
Drivers: (required to have a valid drivers license and access to an appropriate vehicle)
ADMINISTRATIVE & EXECUTIVE
- computer skills; ie. data entry, website maintenance
- working knowledge of Spreadsheets
- knowledge of Quickbooks
- set up/ maintain office files; ie. general files, animal files/records
- provides administrative support to Shelter Manager and Board
- may include answering phones